[Python-Dev] Patch 595601

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 15:13:34 -0400

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:43:43 -0400
 Shane Hathaway <shane@zope.com> wrote:

> What we're not sure of is whether we should be concerned
> about leaking file descriptors due to close() failing.
>  We'd also like some confirmation that fixing this bug is
> worth a small burden of complexity.

I'm not yet comfortable with close() raising an exception.
 Maybe I should just get over it.  Shane's suggestion of
marking the object as failed and having the overlapping
operation raise a different exception is interesting.  It
gives the programmer clear indication that something went
wrong, but don't cause close() to fail.  It may be too
complicated, though: Say the overlapping read() fails; then
you've got two errors you want to report.

I think it's clear we should fix this, but it's not clear
when.  If the fix is complicated enough, I think it can
wait for 2.4.

> P.S. I think this is my First Post on Python-dev.  Howdy,
> all!

You've been overdue here.

Jeremy