[Python-Dev] Py2.1

Thu, 26 Jun 2003 02:22:16 +1000

>>> "Raymond Hettinger" wrote
> After closing a bug report for something fixed in Py2.2.3 and beyond,
> I later wondered if it should be left open so that a fix can be made back
> to Py2.1.4.
>
> My question is whether there is going to be another bugfix release
> for 2.1 or can we limit our open bugs and backports to just 2.2?
>
> My own preference is to avoid considering 2.1 because the issues
> and solutions tend to change as you go back in time.

My own opinion (as someone who's been down this path before) is that
another 2.1.x release is only worthwhile if a sufficiently vile bug
crops up in a way as to cause serious problems (as the GC and
trashcan bugs did for 2.1.2/2.1.3). At that point, it might be worth
considering any other bugs. At the time of 2.1.2, I trawled back
through months of changelogs for bugs that were nasty enough to merit
fixing. I'm not convinced that this was worth doing, in hindsight.
Some of the bug fixes I folded back in no doubt made people's life
easier, but most probably won't ever be noticed. At this point in
Python's life-cycle (there's been 4 2.2 releases now, and we're coming
up on the first 2.3 release), I don't think anyone would expect a
new Py2.1 release unless it was fixing a serious serious problem.

On the other hand, if you're fixing a bug and you do see a fix that
could be applied to 2.1, and you're willing to do the (hopefully small)
amount of work to apply it to the 2.1 branch, more power to you. :)

Anthony