[Python-Dev] 2.3b2 known bugs?

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 14:48:20 -0500

    Neal>  * On Solaris 8, build of the bz2 module failed for one
    Neal>    correspondent; this may depend on the specific release or
    Neal>    provisioning of the box.

    Neal>  * The test for the logging module fails for some people on
    Neal>    Solaris and Mac OS X.  A patch has been applied to CVS that
    Neal>    hopefully fixes this.

    Neal> Skip, I think you had both of these problems.  Is everything ok
    Neal> for you?

Maybe I'm just suffering from bit rot caused by old age, but I didn't
recognize either item.  I located the bz2 problem in the archives.  After a
fair bit of fiddling, I got 2.3b2 installed and built on Solaris 8.  "make
test" showed this output at the end:

    225 tests OK.
    29 tests skipped:
        test_aepack test_al test_bsddb185 test_bsddb3 test_cd test_cl
        test_curses test_email_codecs test_gdbm test_gl test_imgfile
        test_linuxaudiodev test_macfs test_macostools test_mpz test_nis
        test_normalization test_ossaudiodev test_pep277 test_plistlib
        test_scriptpackages test_socket_ssl test_socketserver
        test_sunaudiodev test_timeout test_unicode_file test_urllibnet
        test_winreg test_winsound
    2 skips unexpected on sunos5:
        test_sunaudiodev test_nis

and running those two tests alone works:

    $ ./python Lib/test/regrtest.py test_bz2 test_logging
    test_bz2
    test_logging
    All 2 tests OK.

so I guess the logging and bz2 problems are kaput.

Skip