[Python-Dev] Problem with 2.3b2 tarfile?

Barry Warsaw barry@python.org
30 Jun 2003 16:21:11 -0400

On Mon, 2003-06-30 at 16:10, Skip Montanaro wrote:
>     Barry> I've updated the bugs page to remove the kaput bugs and add a
>     Barry> note about extraction problems on Solaris 8.
>
> Thanks.  I found this item on the Haskell website:
>
>     http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/hugs-bugs/2002-November/001045.html
>
> Looks like Solaris (<= 8) tar has a pathname limit of 80 characters.  Should
> we try and squeeze the Python directory tree into that limit or simply tell
> people to use GNU tar if their tar barfs?

If Jack can reasonably squeeze the pathnames under this limit than
that's fine, otherwise I would point people toward GNU tar as the
solution (unless someone else is motivated to generate Solaris-friendly
tarballs).

-Barry