[Python-Dev] Re: Capabilities

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Sat, 08 Mar 2003 20:00:02 -0500

[Jeremy]
> I have been trying to argue, though I feel a bit muddled at times, that
> the proxy approach eliminates the need for rexec and makes it possible
> to build a "restricted environment" without relying on the rexec code in
> the interpreter.

There's one rexec-related feature that you'll need to use though: that
all built-ins (including __import__) are loaded from the __builtins__
variable in the globals, and that there's no way to get access to the
default __builtins__ (assuming the restricted builtins override
__import__ with something that won't let you import the real sys
module, etc.).  I mention this because this is actually a larger part
of the restricted execution code than the restrictions on certain
introspections that are also part of it.  The latter are clearly not
enough, and perhaps we should drop them (*requiring* proxies or
capabilities to implement the rexec module, rather than the old and
wounded Bastion [see Samuele's posts]).  But the former (the treatment
of __builtins__) is essential.

Perhaps mostly unrelated, I'll also note something about proxy
implementation.  Assuming proxies are instances of a type proxy, that
type must derive from a type object.  This means that if p is a proxy,
object.__getattribute__(p, 'foo') is valid.  It will take some very
careful analysis to prove that this cannot circumvent the proxy's
safeguards.  (I believe Zope's proxies are safe.)