[Python-Dev] Re: lists v. tuples

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 14:26:10 -0500

> Sure, tuples are often used for struct-like things and lists for
> that other stuff <wink>, but I don't think it's right to say you
> _must_ use them like that, and that seeing/using tuples as immutable
> lists is _wrong_.

it's not wrong, but I find that many people use tuples in situations
where they should really use lists, and the immutability is
irrelevant.  Using tuples seems to be a reflex for some people because
creating a tuple saves a microsecond or so.  That sounds like the
wrong thing to let inform your reflexes...