[Python-Dev] Fast access to __builtins__

Jack Diederich jack@performancedrivers.com
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 17:15:05 -0500

On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 04:37:59PM -0500, Raymond Hettinger wrote:
> >From past rumblings, I gather that Python is moving
> towards preventing __builtins__ from being shadowed.
>
> I would like to know what you guys think about going ahead
> with that idea whenever the -O optimization flag is set.

The behavior of a program under -O should be as similar as possible to normal
operation.  This would break that for some programs.
A per-file pragma directive would work.  The downside of a pragma module or
keyword would be what people try to add to it later.

-jackdied