[Python-Dev] Fast access to __builtins__

Barry Warsaw barry@python.org
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 07:46:37 -0500

On Friday, March 28, 2003, at 07:33 AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> BTW, I expect that nonstandard builtins will be ruled out in some
> future version of the language, or will have to be declared
> differently.  They are too confusing for the human reader of the code.

When you say "nonstandard builtins", do you mean nonstandard names
or nonstandard values, or both?  E.g. assigning gettext.ugettext() to
builtin
_() or  setting open() to some debugging func.

I wouldn't want to completely disallow these, but I'd be happy if you
had to
do something special and/or (more) explicit to make them work.

-Barry