[Python-Dev] Re: Dictionary tuning

Terry Reedy tjreedy@udel.edu
Thu, 1 May 2003 11:27:34 -0400

"Michael Hudson" <mwh@python.net> wrote in message
news:2m65ouahg6.fsf@starship.python.net...
> Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org> writes:
>
> > [Tim]

+ 1 on a separate subdirectory (there are two other already) to make
these easier to find (or ignore).

> >> Works for me.  Can we perhaps decide whether we want to do this
in the
> >> near future?  I am going to be writing up module docs for the
test package
> >> and if we are going to end up moving them I would like to be get
this
> >> written into the docs the first time through.

+ 1 on doing so by 2.3 final if not before

> > Should the benchmarks directory be part of the distribution, or
should
> > it be in the nondist part of the CVS tree?
>
> I can't think why you'd want it in nondist, unless they depend on
huge
> input files or something.

+ 1 on keeping these with the standard distribution.  Sortperf.py is a
great example of random + systematic corner case testing extended to
something more complicated than binary ops.  Besides that, I expect to
actually use it, with minor mods, sometime later this year.  I am more
than happy to give it the 4K bytes it uses.

Terry J. Reedy