[Python-Dev] Re: Python-Dev digest, Vol 1 #3221 - 4 msgs

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph@twistedmatrix.com
Thu, 1 May 2003 10:59:41 -0500

On Monday, April 28, 2003, at 04:02 PM, Guido van Rossum wrote:

>> Why is the Python development team introducing bugs into Python and
>> then expecting the user community to fix things that used to work?
>
> I resent your rhetoric, Glyph.  Had you read the rest of this thread,
> you would have seen that the performance regression only happens for
> sending data at maximum speed over the loopback device, and is
> negligeable when receiving e.g. data over a LAN.  You would also have
> seen that I have already suggested two different simple fixes.

I apologize.  I did not seriously mean this as an indictment of the
entire Python development team or process.  I would have responded to
this effect sooner, but I've been swamped with work.

>> I could understand not wanting to put a lot of effort into
>> correcting obscure or difficult-to-find performance problems that
>> only a few people care about, but the obvious thing to do in this
>> case is simply to change the default behavior.
>
> It can and will be fixed.  I just don't have the time to fix it
> myself.

I noticed your comment about the checkin.  Thanks to the dev team for
fixing it so promptly.

>> I think this should be in the release notes for 2.3.  "Python is 10%
>> faster, unless you use sockets, in which case it is much, much slower.
>> Do the following in order to regain lost performance and retain the
>> same semantics:"
>
> That is total bullshit, Glyph, and you know it.

Please pardon the exaggeration.  I forget that sarcasm does not come
across as well on e-mail as it does on IRC.  I appreciate that the
performance drop wasn't really that serious.

On a more positive note, looking at performance numbers got us thinking
about increasing performance in Twisted.  Anthony Baxter has been very
helpful with profiling information, Itamar's already written some
benchmarking tests, and I finished up a logging infrastructure that is
more amenable to metrics gathering last night.  (It's also less
completely awful than the one we had before and should hook up to the
new logging.py gracefully.)

We already have an always-on multi-platform regression test suite for
Twisted (not the snake farm):

	http://www.twistedmatrix.com/users/warner.twistd/

If we get this reporting some performance numbers as well, it would be
pretty easy to turn it into a regression/performance test for Python by
tweaking a few variables -- probably, just 'cvs update; make' in the
Python directory instead of the Twisted one.  Is there interest in
seeing these kinds of numbers generated regularly?  What kind of
numbers would be interesting on the Python side?