[Python-Dev] Dictionary sparseness

Alex Martelli aleax@aleax.it
Mon, 5 May 2003 18:42:02 +0200

On Monday 05 May 2003 05:43 pm, Skip Montanaro wrote:
>     Jack> I was thinking of something analogous to madvise(): ...
>
> Quick, everyone who's used madvise() please raise your hand...  I'll bet a
> beer most people (even on this list) have never put it to good use.  We all
> know Tim probably has just because he's Tim, and apparently Jack has.

I used madvise extensively (and quite successfully) back when I was the
senior software consultant responsible for the lower-levels of a variety of
Unix-system ports of a line of mechanical CAD products.  And I loved and
still love the general concept -- let me advise an optimizer (so it can do
whatever -- be it a little or a lot -- rather than spend energy trying to
guess what in blazes I may be doing:-).

Alex