[Python-Dev] Dictionary sparseness

Alex Martelli aleax@aleax.it
Mon, 5 May 2003 19:57:25 +0200

On Monday 05 May 2003 07:46 pm, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > No thanks.  I've paid my dues and I hope I will *NEVER* again have to
> > work with a system that thinks it's so smart it doesn't need my advisory
> > input -- or at least not on anything that's as performance-crucial as
> > those Fortran programs were [...]
>
> I severely doubt that any Python apps are as performance-critical as
> those Fortran programs were.

Yes, this may well be correct.  My only TRUE wish for tuning performance
of Python applications is to have SOME ways to measure memory
footprints with sensible guesses about where they come from -- THAT
is where I might gain hugely (by fighting excessive working sets through
selective flushing of caches, freelists, etc).

Alex