[Python-Dev] MS VC 7 offer

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Tue, 06 May 2003 15:58:34 -0400

At 02:45 PM 5/6/03 -0400, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > Also, does this affect whether extensions can be compiled by Mingw?
> > It would be nice if people could continue building extensions on
> > Windows using free tools.
>
>I know noting about Mingw.  Anyone who does please speak up if this
>would affect them or not.

I build my extensions on Windows 98 with MinGW.  I don't know if VC6 vs.
VC7 makes a difference or not, since I don't own either one.

I think someone said something about the free VC7 requiring Win2K?  That
seems to me like a dealbreaker for switching from MinGW to VC7, even if the
VC7 is free-as-in-beer.