[Python-Dev] MS VC 7 offer

Alex Martelli aleax@aleax.it
Tue, 6 May 2003 22:12:07 +0200

On Tuesday 06 May 2003 09:53 pm, Brian Quinlan wrote:
> Brian> It's free and more standards compliant.
>
> > Then I suggest we have at least one beta which is built using it.
>
> To get me wrong; I think that moving to VC7 for Python 2.3 would be
> mistake if VC6 compiled extension modules are not binary compatible. My
> understanding was that static libraries are not compatible but that
> dynamic ones are. I spent a few minutes with google but wasn't able to
> find out.

When we discussed VC versions (back when we met in Ofxord during
PythonUK/ACCU), David Abrahams seemed adamant that VC7 and VC6
are indeed compatible -- as he has first-hand experience while I just have
horror stories from ex-coworkers I suspect he's likelier to be right.  Anyway,
I'm CC'ing him since I do suspect he has relevant input and might not
be following python-dev right now...

Alex