[Python-Dev] MS VC 7 offer

"Martin v. Löwis" martin@v.loewis.de
Tue, 06 May 2003 22:26:51 +0200

Alex Martelli wrote:

> When we discussed VC versions (back when we met in Ofxord during
> PythonUK/ACCU), David Abrahams seemed adamant that VC7 and VC6
> are indeed compatible

I doubt he said this in this generality: he surely knows that you
cannot mix C++ objects files on the object file level between those
compilers, as they implement completely different ABIs.

For Python, the biggest problem is that you cannot pass FILE* from one C
library to the other, because of some stupid locking test in the C
library. This does cause crashes when you try to use Python extension
modules compiled with the wrong compiler.

Regards,
Martin