RedHat 9 _random failure under -pg (was Re: [Python-Dev] Startup time)

Jeff Epler jepler@unpythonic.net
Tue, 6 May 2003 15:57:33 -0500

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 09:25:20PM +0200, Martin v. L=F6wis wrote:
> Jeff Epler <jepler@unpythonic.net> writes:
>=20
> > Well, this may have been false alarm -- when I removed -pg from OPT i=
> > the Makefile, './python -c "import random"' works.  So this is a prob=
lem
> > only when profiling is enabled.  Is this intended to work?
>=20
> You mean, is the gcc option -pg supposed to work? As a Python
> developer: How am I supposed to know? As a gcc developer: yes,
> certainly.

I didn't know you were a gcc developer.

In any case, I've distilled this down to a small testcase and was working
on preparing a bug report for their gnats database.  The testcase is
about as simple as it gets:
    /* compile with -pg -fPIC -O */
    typedef struct { void *(*f)(void *, int); } T;
    void *g(T *t) { return t->f(t, 0); }
however, I checked 3.2.3 and this bug is fixed, so I guess I don't need
to do that.

Jeff