[Python-Dev] MS VC 7 offer

"Martin v. Löwis" martin@v.loewis.de
Tue, 06 May 2003 23:45:28 +0200

Brian Quinlan wrote:

> Wouldn't this only affect extension modules using PyFile_FromFile and
> PyFile_AsFile?

That might be the case. However, notice that there might be other
incompatibilities which we might discover by chance only - Microsoft
hasn't documented any of this.

>>There won't be any. That's any ABI change.
>

> Isn't the ABI dependant on the API and linker?

And the compiler, and the operating system, and the microprocessor.

> The API is supposed to be
> stable at this point. I would imagine that most extension developers
> would assume that the build environment is also stable at this point.

Yes, some are certainly assuming that. Some are sincerely hoping,
or even expecting, that Python 2.3 is released with VC7, so that they
can embed Python in their VC7-based application without having to
recompile it.

No matter what the choice is, somebody will be unhappy.

Regards,
Martin