[Python-Dev] MS VC 7 offer

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Tue, 06 May 2003 21:23:55 -0400

[Tim]
> Speaking of which, presumably Tcl/Tk and SSL and etc on Windows
> should also be compiled under VC7 then.

[Martin v. L=F6wis]
> That is certainly the case (not to forget bsddb, zlib, and bzip2).
> This will require quite some volunteer time.

Amplifying a little, the Python code base required some changes befor=
e it
would compile under VC 7 (I didn't make these changes, and don't reca=
ll any
details apart from changes in MS's LONG_INTEGER APIs).  There's no re=
ason to
believe that other code bases are immune from needing changes too.  A=
present, we don't maintain any patches to any external code base in o=
rder to
build the Windows release.  If we needed to make changes to them for =
VC 7,
that would probably change, and should really be done by the packages=
'
primary (non-Python) maintainers.