[Python-Dev] Windows installer request...

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Tue, 06 May 2003 21:40:49 -0400

[Tim]
>> Enough already <wink/frown>:  I don't have time to try
>> umpteen different things here, or really even one.

[Bjorn Pettersen]
> Thank you for doing it anyway then <smile>.

You're welcome!  I took the "C:" out on Monday, when I had just enough spare
time to delete one byte, and took the rest out of sleep.

> Works like a charm. Tested on Win98, Win2k, WinXP Pro (regular), and my
> "special" XP. (NT4 seems to have died a silent death, so I couldn't test
> it there...)

Thanks!  I'll check it in ... Thursday.

>> Please give that a try.  It's an incoherent mix if files, so
>> please use a junk name for the installation directory and program
>> startup group (or simply abort the install after you see whether
>> it suggested a drive you approve of).

> I went all the way through (all files seems to have gone in correctly),
> and as expected it shadowed my original install of 2.3b1 in the
> Add/Remove Programs window. Surprisingly however, the original came back
> after this one was removed. Who'd have thought.. ;-)

The rollback features in Wise 8.14-generated installers are pretty good
(esp. if you check the "make backups" option when installing).
Uninstall/rollback will even restore start menu groups and file
associations.  I don't trust it enough to recommend it, though (I haven't
really beat on it).

Something fun to waste time:  in the very last "Installation Completed!"
install dialog, click "Cancel" instead of "Finish".  It will then roll back
all the changes it made, leaving things as they were before you started the
installer.

> ... FWIW, re: the MSVC7 debate, the "Microsoft Development Environment"
> (DevStudio), comes with five different "Setup and Deployment projects".
> I've never used any of them, nor Wise (obviously :-), but it could
> potentially get you out of the loop... <wink>.

Thanks, but I'm not sure even death has that kind of power.