[Python-Dev] pyconfig.h not regenerated by "config.status --recheck"

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Wed, 7 May 2003 06:42:21 -0500

    >> So, a word to the wise: avoid config.status --recheck.

    Michael> I don't know if I'm wise or not but I do tend to go for

    Michael>  rm -rf build && mkdir build && cd build && ../configure -q && make -s

    Michael> for most rebuilds... I guess I should trust my tools a bit
    Michael> more.

I got in the habit of using config.status --recheck because it allowed me to
only remember a single configure-like command for most packages I
build/install using configure.  I only had to figure out what flags to pass
to configure once, then later typing "C-r rech" in bash was sufficient to
reconfigure the package.  It would be nice if config.status had a flag which
actually executed configure without the --no-create and --no-recursion
flags.

Someone mentioned invoking config.status without the --recheck flag.  I
don't think that's wise in a development environment since that doesn't
actually run configure.  Since we're talking about building Python in a
development environment, I find it hard to believe you'd want to skip
configure altogether.

Skip