[Python-Dev] MS VC 7 offer

Williams, Gerald S (Jerry) gsw@agere.com
Fri, 9 May 2003 13:43:29 -0400

Martin v. L=F6wis wrote:
> You make it sound as if compilers are a religion.

Hardly intended, but when Microsoft (and the FSF) are
involved, somehow religious wars often pop up. :-)

> > If Python is moving toward VC7, [...]
>
> Python is not moving towards or away from specific product [...]
> We are talking about the PythonLabs Windows installer,

You are correct. Replace "Python" with "the PythonLabs
Windows installer".

> Somebody will have to maintain the VC makefiles. That somebody won't=20
> simultaneously maintain a MingW infrastructure, because of time=20
> constraints. So to use a MingW release process, we would need a=20
> volunteer to produce such a release. Do you volunteer?

Not today, maybe tomorrow. I'm already maintaining the
SWIG package for Cygwin and not putting as much time
into that as I should. Plus I have a new public domain
project on SourceForge that I'm trying to get off the
ground.

I appreciate the need for having somebody actually do
the work (especially the initial port). I'm glad to
hear a few people are already working on this one.

gsw