[Python-Dev] MS VC 7 offer

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Fri, 09 May 2003 16:58:28 -0400

[MAL]
>>> How about adding support for VC7 features in 2.4

[Tim]
>> AFAIK, current CVS Python compiles under VC7 now.

[MAL]
> That's nice :-) I meant: adding features from VC7 to Python.

Umm, could you name one?  VC7 is a compiler to me.  I don't what it means to
add a compiler feature to Python, so transformed the suggestion into one I
understood.

>>> and starting the transition in 2.5 ?

>> I expect that mostly depends on who's doing the work.  PLabs Windows
>> development is on auto-pilot (aka benign neglect).  The first person to
>> volunteer time to do anything here gets to set the policy for
>> the next two decades <0.9 wink>.

> How come ? I always thought that Zope's main deployment platform
> is Windows....

I don't know, but doubt it, and Windows users are conspicuous by absence on
the public Zope dev mailing lists.  Regardless, Zope strives to be a
platform-neutral application, so I've never been surprised that Zope Corp's
interest in Windows-specific Python work has been undetectable.