[Python-Dev] Make _strptime only time.strptime implementation?

Brett Cannon drifty@alum.berkeley.edu
Fri, 9 May 2003 16:41:25 -0700 (PDT)

[Guido van Rossum]

> > I got a single email from someone asking me to change the
> > functionality so that it would raise an exception if part of the
> > input string was not parsed.
>
> That sounds like a good idea on the face of it.  Or will this break
> existing code?

Maybe.  If they depend on some specific behavior on a platform that offers
it, then yes, there could be issues.  But since the docs are so vague if
it does break code it will most likely be because someone didn't follow
the warnings in the spec.

And while we are on this subject, does anyone have any issues if I cause
_strptime to recognize UTC and GMT as timezones?  The Solaris box I always
use to do libc strptime comparisons to does not recognize it as an
acceptable value for %Z, but since it is a known fact that neither have
daylight savings I feel _strptime should recognize this fact and set the
daylight savings value to 0 insteading of raising an error saying it
doesn't know about that timezone.

Any objections to the change?

-Brett