[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] python/dist/src/Lib warnings.py,1.19,1.20

Charles G Waldman cgw@alum.mit.edu
Wed, 14 May 2003 23:38:26 -0500

GvR> only reason I can come up with is that for dotted names, the dot would
GvR> have to be escaped on the command line, and escaping something on the
GvR> command line is painful because \ is also a shell escape character, so
GvR> you'd have to escape the escape.

I'm afraid I must be missing something terribly obvious here, but why
would you need to escape a dot on a command line?  None of the shells
I'm familiar with treat dot as a metacharacter.  Isn't `?' the
standard shell metacharacter for "any character"?  Filename patterns
on the shell command line are "glob patterns", not RE's.

But, like I said, I'm probably missing something.  I think I'll go
back into the shadows to lurk some more now....  Charles