Using emacs' unexec to speed Python startup (was Re: [Python-Dev] Startup time)

Jeff Epler jepler@unpythonic.net
Sun, 18 May 2003 21:46:18 -0500

On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 08:22:14PM -0500, Jeff Epler wrote:
> I'm running the test suite now .. it hangs in test_signal for some reason.
> test_thread seems to hang too, which may be related.  (but test_threading
> completes?)

If I make another change, to call PyOS_InitInterrupts just after
Py_Initialize in Modules/main.c, these two tests pass.

Py_Initialize believes it's already initialized so returns without doing
anything.  But unexec doesn't preserve signal handlers, so this must be
re-done explicitly.

Jeff