[Python-Dev] Re: C new-style classes and GC

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
Tue, 20 May 2003 12:04:05 +0100

"Tim Peters" <tim@zope.com> writes:

> Micheal Hudson made a nice start in that direction, with 2.3's

Hey, even Tims can't spell my name right!

>     Misc/pymemcompat.h
>
> If you write your code to 2.3's simpler memory API, and #include that file,
> it will translate 2.3's spellings (via macros) into older spellings back
> through 1.5.2, keying off PY_VERSION_HEX to choose the right renamings.
>
> Jim is doing something related by hand in these docs, via the unnecessary
>
>     #ifndef PyMODINIT_FUNC	/* declarations for DLL import/export */
>     #define PyMODINIT_FUNC void
>     #endif
>
> blocks.  That is, PyMODINIT_FUNC is defined (via Python.h) in 2.3, so the
> development docs shouldn't encourage pretending it may not be.  It would be
> a good idea to add suitable redefinitions of PyMODINIT_FUNC to pymemcompat.h
> too, but whether someone will volunteer to do so is an open question.

Well, I could do this in a minute, but

(a) the file then becomes misnamed (perhaps pyapicompat.h ...)

(b) I suspect some fraction of the value of pymemcompat.h is that it
    is short and has just-less-than abusive guidance on which memory
    API functions to use.

Cheers,
M.

--
  ARTHUR:  Ford, you're turning into a penguin, stop it.