[Python-Dev] RELEASED Python 2.2.3c1

Martin v. Löwis martin@v.loewis.de
24 May 2003 18:01:08 +0200

Gustavo Niemeyer <niemeyer@conectiva.com> writes:

> I have some time this weekend to work on Python. Do you think it'd be ok
> to backport some of the fixes we have introduced in the regular
> expression engine in 2.3 to 2.2.3, or is it too late? We have a sf patch
> open about that, but I'd like to port only the changes that don't
> require major changes in the engine.

I strongly advise to defer such changes to 2.2.4. This is really
tricky code, and changes should ideally be reviewed by three different
experts (including the author of the changes).

> Also, have you seen the message about urllib2 I sent a few days ago?
> Would that be something important to have in 2.2.3 (or even in 2.3)?

Nothing that is not in 2.3 right now can go into 2.2.3. Only backports
of accepted changes should be applied to the 2.2 branch.

> Do you plan to produce another release candidate?

My understanding is that there was only one release candidate
planned. Changes that require another release candidate should not be
applied right now, since another release candidate won't give them the
testing that they need.

Regards,
Martin