[Python-Dev] Introduction

Terence Way terry@wayforward.net
Wed, 28 May 2003 13:32:29 -0400

I've been lurking for a bit, and now seems like a good time to
introduce myself.

* I build messaging systems for banks, earlier I was CTO of a dot-com.
* I started programming on the TRS-80 and the RCA COSMAC VIP, later
   on the Apple ][.
* I am a Java refugee (well, I might still code in Java for pay).
* I'm into formal methods.  Translation: I like *talking* about
   formal methods, but I never use them myself :-)

I read somewhere that the best way to build big Python callouses was
to write a PEP.  Here goes:
     http://www.wayforward.net/pycontract/pep-0999.html

Programming by Contract for Python... pre-conditions, post-conditions,
invariants, with all the Eiffel goodness like weakening pre-conditions
and strengthening invariants and post-conditions on inheritance, and
access to old values.  All from docstrings, like doctest.

I'm also into handling insane numbers of incoming connections on cheap
boxes: compare Jef Poskanzer's thttpd to Apache.  10000 simultaneous
HTTP connections on a $400 computer just gets me giggling.  Stackless
Python intrigues me greatly for the same reason.

I guess that's it for now...  Cheers!