[Python-Dev] check-in policy, trunk vs maintenance branch

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Mon Nov 3 09:01:23 EST 2003

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003, Alex Martelli wrote:

> I made a few bugfix check-ins to the 2.3 maintenance branch this
> weekend and Michael Hudson commented that he thinks that so doing is a
> bad idea, that bug fixes should filter from the 2.4 trunk to the 2.3
> branch and not the other way around.  Is this indeed the policy (have
> I missed some guidelines about it)?

PEP 6:

    As individual patches get contributed to the feature release fork,
    each patch contributor is requested to consider whether the patch is
    a bug fix suitable for inclusion in a patch release.  If the patch is
    considered suitable, the patch contributor will mail the SourceForge
    patch (bug fix?) number to the maintainers' mailing list.

That seems clear enough to me, though it could probably stand some
updating for using appropriate vocabulary and matching current practice.

--Bill Harlan