[Python-Dev] bsddb test case deadlocks fixed

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Nov 4 07:44:12 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 03:12, Alex Martelli wrote:

> Generally, extending functionality (as opposed to: fixing bugs or clarifying
> docs) is not a goal for 2.3.* -- but I don't know if the fact that bsddb
> isn't thread-safe in 2.3 counts as "a bug", or rather as functionality
> deliberately kept limited, to avoid e.g such bugs as the one you've just
> removed, and other possibilities you mention:
>
> >   - multithreaded bsddb use could deadlock depending on how it is used.
>
> I think that just having the 2.3.* docs explicitly mention the lack of
> thread-safety might then perhaps be better than backporting the changes.

It's just the DB-API that's not thread-safe.  The full blown BerkeleyDB
API (a.k.a. bsddb3) should be fine.

It sure is tempting to claim that the lack of DB-API thread-safety for
BerkeleyDB is a bug and should be fixed for 2.3.*, but I think Greg
should make the final determination.  If it isn't, then yes, the docs
need to clearly state that's the case.

-Barry