[Python-Dev] Deprecating obsolete builtins

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Nov 5 08:48:53 EST 2003

"Raymond Hettinger" <python at rcn.com> writes:

> [Neal Norwitz]
>> For 2.4 I'd suggest we officially deprecate: apply, coerce, intern.
>
> +1

I think apply is probably widely enough used that this is too strong.

It could be a right royal pain in the arse if you wanted to have code
that still ran in 1.5.2.  I realize that this poses other problems,
but I don't feel we should be going out of our way to make it harder.

not-a-fan-of-churn-ly y'rs
mwh

--
  (Unfortunately, while you get Tom Baker saying "then we
   were attacked by monsters", he doesn't flash and make