[Python-Dev] other "magic strings" issues

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Fri Nov 7 16:03:20 EST 2003

Alex Martelli writes:
 > Very interesting!  To me, this suggests fixing this performance bug -- there
 > is no reason that I can see why the .is* methiods should be _slower_.  Would
 > a performance bugfix (no implementation change, just a speedup) be OK for
 > 2.3.3, I hope?  That would motivate me to work on it soonest...

People keep hinting that these methods should be faster, but I see no
reason to think they would be.  Think about it: using the method
requires the creation of a bound method object.  No matter how fast
PyMalloc is, that's still a fair bit of work.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation