[Python-Dev] other "magic strings" issues

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Fri Nov 7 18:11:45 EST 2003

[Skip Montanaro]

>     >> How about a strtools module?

>     Fred> Not sure I like the increasing array of module name suffixes.
>     Fred> There's the classic "foolib", then we added "footools" and
>     Fred> "fooutils" (think "mimetools" and "distutils").

> Not to mention which, we have a perfectly good module name already: string.

When the `string' module was more or less aimed at deprecation (at least
in practice), a good while ago, this was good news to me, because this
module was preventing me, as a programmer, to use `string' as a variable
name.  Currently in Python, `string' as a module is not ubiquitously
needed as it once was in 1.5.2 times, and this is good news.  Let it go
and vanish if this is doable, but avoid making `string' any stronger.

I would much prefer that library modules (past and future) should never
be named after likely user variable names.