[Python-Dev] Re: other "magic strings" issues

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Nov 11 15:05:54 EST 2003

Guido van Rossum wrote:

>>http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/python-codecs/picu/
>

> Is that something we could move into the std lib?

It's incomplete. When it is completed, yes, perhaps. However,
ICU itself is *really* large (including the Unicode character
database, encoding tables for all encodings of the world, and
locale data for all languages), so we would need to ship that
as well, or require that it is pre-existing on a system (possible
for Linux, unrealistic for Windows).

More realistically, we could expose wcscoll(3) where available,
which would extend the Python locale model to Unicode (assuming
the C library uses Unicode in wchar_t).

Regards,
Martin