[Python-Dev] Re: other "magic strings" issues

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Nov 11 15:21:40 EST 2003

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> How big would ICU binaries for Windows be?  I don't mind bloating the
> Windows installer by a few MB.  As long as it doesn't have to land in
> CVS...

See

ftp://www-126.ibm.com/pub/icu/2.6.1/icu-2.6.1.zip

I haven't actually downloaded it because of size (9MB); the zip file
may contain header files and the like which we shouldn't ship.

>>More realistically, we could expose wcscoll(3) where available,
[...]
> I don't know what that is, but if you recommend it, I support it.

See

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xsh/wcscoll.html

It goes along with wcsxfrm and wcscmp for efficient collation,
and parallels strcoll, strxfrm, and strcmp for wchar_t.

Regards,
Martin