[Python-Dev] Re: other "magic strings" issues

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Nov 12 15:34:59 EST 2003

Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> writes:

> > More realistically, we could expose wcscoll(3) where available,
> > which would extend the Python locale model to Unicode (assuming
> > the C library uses Unicode in wchar_t).
>
> I don't know what that is, but if you recommend it, I support it.

I should have remembered this time machine. locale.strcoll already
uses wcscoll if the platform supports it, so locale.strcoll should
be used for locale-aware collation.

locale.strxfrm does not (yet) support Unicode; I'm uncertain whether
it should (as you typically use this when presenting sorted lists to
the user; displaying them will certainly take much longer than sorting
them).

Regards,
Martin