[Python-Dev] sqlite into std library for 2.4?

Gregory P. Smith greg at electricrain.com
Sun Nov 16 21:05:21 EST 2003

On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 08:17:38PM +0100, Gerhard H?ring wrote:

> Inclusion in the Python standard library means an API freeze. I'm not
> sure all of PySQLite has the best interfaces, yet. One solution could be
> to only document the parts where we consider the API *stable*.
>
> Last, but not least, I don't see the tremendous benefit of a simple
> embedded SQL database in the Python standard distribution. Sure, Windows
> users would have to download one thing less, but for Unix users nothing
> much will change, because we'd most probably still require an existing
> SQLite installation. And SQLite is nothing that you can expect being
> installed, anyway, like BSDdb is. So, more or less, Unix users will only
> save downloading PySQLite separately.

Agreed.  I love SQLite (though i've not yet used it with python) but
I don't think it needs to be bundled as part of the standard dist.
Its an easy add-on.

Perhaps it could just get a mention and a hyperlink in the python
documentation (where?) as a suggested embedded SQL database.

One thing that would change my mind about inclusion is if a python
library similar to 'SQLObject' or 'orm' were of in good enough shape to
be included at the same time.  Both provide an object oriented abstraction
to a database preventing you from needing to write any SQL in most cases;
similar to perl's Class::DBI package.

-g