[Python-Dev] Making weakref callbacks safe in cyclic gc

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Nov 17 15:33:19 EST 2003

Tim Peters wrote:
> [Tim]
>
>>>If the callback itself is part of the garbage getting collected,
>>>then the weakref holding the callback must also be part of the
>>>garbage getting collected (else the weakref holding the callback
>>>would act as an external root, preventing the callback from being
>>>part of the garbage being collected too).
>>>
>>>My thought then was that a simpler scheme could simply call tp_clear
>>>on the trash weakrefs first.  Calling tp_clear on a weakref just
>>>throws away the associated callbacks (if any) unexecuted, and if
>>>they don't get run then we have no reason to care what's reachable
>>>from them anymore.
>

> [Neil Schemenauer]
>
>>This I don't get.  Don't people want the callbacks to be called?

As Tim pointed out, not if the weakref object dies before the object it
references.  I agree with Tim that if both the weakref and the object
it references are in a cycle, it makes sense to remove the weakrefs first.

> We can certainly repair that by treating objects with callbacks the same as
> objects with __del__ methods when they're in cyclic trash, and that's an
> easy change to the implementation.  Then the objects with callbacks, and
> everything reachable from them, leak unless/until the user snaps enough
> cycles in gc.garbage.

I think this would be really really bad.

> I don't have a feel for how much trouble it would be to avoid running afoul
> of that.  Jim has so far presented it as an unacceptable burden.

There's a big difference between __del__ and weakref callbacks.
The __del__ method is "internal" to a design. When you design a
class with a del method, you know you have to avoid including the
class in cycles.

Now, suppose you have a design that makes has no __del__ methods but that
does use cyclic data structures. You reason about the design, run tests,
and convince yourself you don't have a leak.

Now, suppose some external code creates a weak ref to one of your objects.
All of a sudden, you start leaking.  You can look at your code all
you want and you won't find a reason for the leak.

To protext yourself against this, you'd need a way of preventing wekrefs to
your class instances.

Jim