[Python-Dev] more on pickling

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Nov 19 23:23:42 EST 2003

At 04:19 AM 11/20/03 +0100, Christian Tismer wrote:
>Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>
>>Christian Tismer <tismer at tismer.com> writes:
>>
>>>If you have a nice and quick solution, please let me know.
>>
>>Install something in copy_reg. Nice and quick.
>
>Gack! probably my only chance, without starting a major flame war.
>But I know it *is* wrong.

Not according to the documentation:

"""The copy_reg module provides support for the pickle and cPickle
modules....
It provides configuration information about object constructors which are
not classes."""

Hmm.  Maybe that last bit should actually say "object types that do not
support __reduce__ or other pickling protocols", now that everything's a
class.  Other than that, it seems dead on to what you're trying to do.