[Python-Dev] Time for 2.3.3?

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Fri Nov 21 13:09:35 EST 2003

[Barry]
> FWIW, I'm having much more problems with 2.3cvs on RH7.3.  test_re.py
> core dumps for me for instance.

For Guido too.

> I'm doing a fresh build --with-pydebug and will try to get more
> information.

It's one of two things:

    USE_RECURSION_LIMIT isn't #define'd

or

    USE_RECURSION_LIMIT is #define'd, but to a value too large for
    that box

There's a maze of #ifdef'ery near the start of _sre.c setting
USE_RECURSION_LIMIT differently for different platforms.  Windows doesn't
use USE_RECURSION_LIMIT -- it uses a different gimmick based on being able
to test for C stack overflow directly on Windows.

test_re.py *should*, at this time, fail in exactly the same ways I reported
it failing on Windows.