[Python-Dev] Ripping out Macintosh support

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Tue Nov 25 16:48:07 EST 2003

On 20-nov-03, at 23:32, Greg Ewing wrote:

> Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl>:
>> As you may have noticed if you follow the checkins mailing list I've
>> enthusiastically started ripping out 90% of the work I did on Python
>> the last 10 years
> What are you ripping out, exactly? I hope you're not getting rid of
> Carbon too soon, because I'm in the midst of doing a Mac version of my
> Python GUI using it!

Don't worry, Carbon is going to be around for a long time, probably as
as Apple continues to support it (which is probably going to be

Some things will change, such as QuickTime and CoreFoundation moving out
of the Carbon package where they didn't really belong in the first
place, but
for 2.4 I guess we'll have indirection modules in the Carbon package
print a warning and then import the real thing, just as we did when
moving all
the Mac modules from toplevel modules to being inside the Carbon

Also, as long as time permits I'll continue to maintain the 2.3.X
for MacOS9.