[Python-Dev] instancemethod_getattro seems to be partially wrong

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Nov 25 18:47:25 EST 2003

[Guido]
> I guess it's my anti-Scheme attitude.  I just think the problem is in
> the deeply nested structures.  There usually is a less nested data
> structure that doesn't have the problem.

A couple more thoughts:

There's a difference between nested data structures and recursion. Use
of one doesn't necessarily imply the other.

Also, whether a given data structure is "nested" or not can depend on
your point of view. Most people wouldn't consider a linked list to be
nested -- it may be "wide", but it's not usually thought of as
"deep". I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a pickle that
doesn't use up a recursion level for each unit of width in such a
structure.