[Python-Dev] Tutorial: Brief Introduction to the Standard Libary

Arthur ajs at optonline.net
Thu Nov 27 08:52:51 EST 2003

>I'm interested to know what your experiences have been >with
teaching.python.

How about one's experience in learning Python?

It is clear to me - in retrospect - that the absence of copy() as a
_built-in__ worked negatively.  Learning isn't a linear process, and I can't
make a simple linear argument as to why this is so. But it has more to do
with getting a handle on assignment, than the direct use or lack of use of
copy() itself. I tried to open up discussion of this issue on edu-sig, and
was asked by Guido to take a hike.  I had apparently chosen an inappropriate
forum.

I understand that a move of copy() to built-ins is not in the cards.  Number
#1 on a list of library modules in a tutorial may well be a better solution.
I strongly encourage you to stick with your instincts and intuition here.
But by all means including Guido's koan about the overuse of copy by novices
as part of that presentation.

Art