[Python-Dev] Tutorial: Brief Introduction to the Standard Libary

Gerrit Holl gerrit at nl.linux.org
Thu Nov 27 12:37:01 EST 2003

[I'm Gerrit Holl (18) and I've been using Python for 3-4 years]

Alex Martelli wrote:
> time, datetime, calendar -- many real programs want to deal with
> dates and times

In my opinion, we should not include all three in the tutorial. I think
only datetime should be included. datetime has largely the same niche as
time, with the difference that datetime is object oriented and time is
not. In my opinion, this makes datetime superior to time. Further, I
think calender isn't used a lot...

    calendar, format3c, format3cstring, month, monthcalendar, prcal,
    prmonth, prweek, week, weekheader
        Those mostly copy the unix cal utility. They probably can be
        useful, but I'm not sure when. Don't most GUI's provide tools
        for selecting a date from a window?

    isleap, leapdays
        Useful functions. Never used them, though.

    firstweekday, setfirstweekday
        Don't really know when/why to use them

    timegm
        Doesn't belong here

I think the calendar module does not contain enough functionality in
order to justify it to be included in the tutorial.

I think datetime does belong in the tutorial, while time and calendar do
not.

yours,
Gerrit.

--
242. If any one hire oxen for a year, he shall pay four gur of corn for
plow-oxen.