[Python-Dev] Patch to distutils.msvccompiler, 2.3 branch

Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy) tdelaney at avaya.com
Thu Nov 27 17:19:45 EST 2003

> From: Martin v. Löwis
>
> Thomas Heller <theller at python.net> writes:
>
> > It would be great if
> > someone else would try it out and report if it works
> correctly - IMO it
> > should be commited to the 2.3 maintanance branch before
> 2.3.3 goes out.
> > (Suggestions for better wording would be accepted ;-)
>
> I'm willing to trust you that you get this right.
>
> Most of us probably aren't even aware that VS6 has different registry
> settings depending on whether it was ever invoked after being
> installed.

This is something I come across all the time with Microsoft product - in particular, we have a product which is a plugin to Microsoft Visio.

Our installer currently has to detect that Visio is installed, but hasn't been run, and tell them to run it. I intend to rewrite the installer soon (from WISE to NSIS) and hopefully I'll be able to improve this behaviour ...

Tim Delaney