[Python-Dev] less quick patch for better debugging.

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Nov 27 18:08:14 EST 2003

Michael Hudson <mwh at python.net>:

> > This would be considerably improved if the error message could
> > just point out the position in the line instead of just the line
> > number.
>
> Any ideas how to do that?  I guess you could obfuscate c_lnotab even
> more...

It would need to contain a lot more information, one way or another.

I don't know whether it would be worth going to heroic lengths to
compress it, though.  Maybe it would be better to invest the effort in
making the lineno tables lazily loaded instead -- leave them in the
.pyc file until they're needed.