[Python-Dev] Banishing apply(), buffer(), coerce(), and intern()

Gerrit Holl gerrit at nl.linux.org
Fri Nov 28 14:49:59 EST 2003

Raymond Hettinger wrote:
> Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 07:26:15 +0100

> After re-reading previous posts on the subject, I had an idea.  Let's
> isolate these functions in the documentation into a separate section
> following the rest of the builtins.

I would like to nominate input() also. It is often misused by beginners.
A better choice is almost always raw_input(). In the standard library,
fpformat.py seems to be the only one using it. Further, I see
Demo/classes/Dbm.py uses it, but that seems to be all. How about
banishing input() too?

yours,
Gerrit.

--
59. If any man, without the knowledge of the owner of a garden, fell a
tree in a garden he shall pay half a mina in money.