[Python-Dev] Banishing apply(), buffer(), coerce(), and intern()

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sat Nov 29 13:10:58 EST 2003

> Is the `expr` worth banishing? I've never used it myself
> because of the chance of misreading `expr` vs. 'expr'.
> Isn't it a hard to read str()?

Yes, backticks will be gone in 3.0.  But I expect there's no hope of
getting rid of them earlier -- they've been used too much.  I suspect
that even putting in a deprecation warning would be too much.  (Maybe
a silent deprecation could work.)

So maybe these could be added to the list of language features moved
to a "doomed" section.

> Note: I tried to find it in the language reference and its not in the index
> but then neither is %.

I think none of the operators are in the index of the reference
manual.  I don't know how to resolve this; indexing non-alphanumeric
characters may not be easy in LaTeX, I don't know.