[Python-Dev] Re: "groupby" iterator

David Eppstein eppstein at ics.uci.edu
Sun Nov 30 20:01:20 EST 2003

In article
<200311301650.hAUGofH28925 at c-24-5-183-134.client.comcast.net>,
 Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> But I don't think there's a good use case
> for what he wants to do instead: save enough state so that the
> subiterators can be used in arbitrary order.  An application
> that saves the subiterators for later will end up saving a copy of
> everything, so it might as well be written so explicitly

I don't have a good explicit use case in mind, but my objective is to be
able to use itertools-like functionals without having to pay much
attention to which ones iterate through their arguments immediately and
which ones defer the iteration until later.

--
David Eppstein                      http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/