[Python-Dev] Re: RELEASED Python 2.3.1

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Wed Oct 1 03:52:00 EDT 2003

"Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake at acm.org> writes:

> Thomas Heller writes:
>
>  > And it would help if I could build the HTML docs myself from CVS. I did
>  > manage to create the pdf files with TeTex under windows, but I didn't
>  > succeed with the html pages so far.
>
> Are you using Cygwin?  What problems did you encounter?  I'll help if
> I can; I have a Windows machine (sometimes), but don't know anything
> about non-Cygwin Windows TeX systems (and I don't have Cygwin
> installed most of the time).

No, I'm not using cygwin. I have seen too many broken cvs files with
line end problems, I suspect people check in files with MSDOS line
ending under cygwin.

Now that I can build the docs on starship (thanks, Greg!) it's not
needed anymore to do it under Windows, but for the archives here are my
experiences:

Doing 'nmake pdf' (this is the MSVC6 make utility) in the src/Doc
directory worked, it created the pdf docs with MikTeX I had
installed. Maybe I had to trivially edit the Makefile (replace 'cp' with
'copy' and such) before.

It doesn't work anymore with the recent checkins to the Makefile it
didn't work anymore, although installing the Mingw32 gnumake helped.

Then I tried to bring 'make html' to work, installed latex2html (I have
Perl already), but this always complained about pnmtopng missing (or
something like that). And the make failed with an error such as 'image
format unsupported'. Well, I tried to find and install native windows
pnm2png and png2pnm tools, had to replace incompatible zlib.dll and so
on. It didn't work, instead it broke my ssh and maybe other stuff.

At this point I gave up, removed the software, and be happy that I
managed to get my ssh working again.

Thomas